What roti meal would be complete without the traditional southern Thai curry that accompanies it! I covered roti making earlier (link), while your roti is resting you have a few hours spare to prepare the curry. There's enough curry here for the 16 rotis in the roti recipe. Since it's a southern curry, and since there's more Muslims in the south, it's naturally a chicken curry rather than pork, but you can also use pork.
An optional but traditional side dish is the cucumber and onion relish. This is a nice thing to have, the sweet sour onion relish adds an extra dimension to the curry dish, but it's not essential.
In Thailand, we usually have a shared pot of curry, and everyone spoons some of the curry onto their roti as they eat. Together with some spoonfuls of the side relish.
Also, a quick shout out to my site sponsor, Sparkly2Design.co.uk, my British-Thai friends website. She makes a whole range of iron on bead transfers, hot fix beads, and can even make to order custom bead transfers, like the 'Appon Thai Food' bead design I have on my apron in the video below.
1 Tablespoon Curry Powder
1 Teaspoon Salt
2 Tablespoons Yellow Curry Paste
100 gms Carrots
100 gms Pumpkin
1 Small Onion, or Half a large One
2 Chicken Breasts
200 ml milk
Oil for frying
1. Dice the carrots, pumpkins, onion and chicken breast ready for cooking.
2. To a frying pan, add a little oil.
3. Fry the onion just to soften them, add the curry paste and curry powder.
4. Add half of the milk, bring to the boil
5. Add the chicken breast and fry until the chicken is cooked.
6. Add the diced vegatables and salt
7. When the vegetables are cooked add the rest of the milk and bring back to boil.
8. Garnish with a bit of coriander leaves or dill for decoration.
Ingredients for Side Relish
1 Small Red Onion
100 mls White Vinegar
100 gms Sugar
Preparation for Side Relish
1. Into a small saucepan, add the vinegar and sugar, bring to the boil.
2. Boil for 3 minutes, both to dissolve the sugar, and to reduce some of the liquid.
3. Leave till cold.
4. Slice the cucumber and red onion finely and add to the cold liquid.
5. If you like spicy, you can slice some red chillies into this too.