A great filler, I often bake a large banana loaf and cut off thick slices to go into packed lunches. The banana cake will keep for a week in the fridge quite easily, and it has plenty of bulk, making it very filling. It's also a good way to use up old brown bananas that are overripe.
400 gms Mashed Ripe Banana
150 gms Sugar
300 gms Wheat Cake Flour
7 gms Baking Powder
7 gms Bicarbonate of Soda
3 gms Salt
100 gms Vegetable Oil
3-5 Drops Vanilla Essence
1. Mix the flour with the bicarbonate of soda and baking powder (baking powder is usually bicarbonate and citric acid used as a raising agent).
2. Whisk the eggs with the sugar and vanilla essence, add in the mashed banana and which until well mixed.
3. Add the flour a little at a time whisking to blend it in.
4. Add the salt and oil and whisk that in.
5. Pour into a greaseproof loaf tray and bake for 45-60 minutes at 180 degrees celsius until cooked.
6. You can tell if it's cooked by pushing a toothpick into the cake. If the toothpick comes out clean it's cooked, if it comes out with batter mix on it, it needs longer.