Fake mushrooms, made from meringue. Thai's love to make food that looks like something else, and naturally we couldn't simply make meringues that look like meringues! The 'earth' dusting is done with coco powder.
200 gms White Eggs
3 Tablespoons Cassava Starch
200 gms Sugar
1 Tablespoon Lemon Juice
2 Tablespoons Coco Powder
1. Whisk the egg whites until they form peaks. Add lemon juice, and whisk again until the eggs are stiff.
2. Split into two parts, one part will become the cap, one part the stalk.
3. Fill a piping bag and onto a piece of greaseproof paper, squeeze out the mushroom cap. Dust these with coco powder.
4. Mix the other half of the egg yolk with the cassava starch. Be careful not to stir it too much.
5. Pipe this into stalks, and keep a little back.
6. Place the meringues into the oven, at 70 degrees celsius. Be very careful not to overheat meringue, it needs only gentle heat, more like drying than cooking.
7. Cut the stalks into 2cm lengths and glue them onto the mushroom caps using the remaining meringue. Cook a little longer to just set the mushrooms.