This is a dessert made with taro - a sweet potato like root vegetable and topped with fried onion slivers. It sounds stranger than it tastes, the taste is similar to bread puddings, the taro gives this dessert the bread like texture, the onions add a contrast flavour. If you can't obtain taro, use sweet potato or yam.
150 gms Taro
200 gms Sugar
200 ml Coconut Milk
3 Tablespoons Oil
1. Boil the taro until it is cooked, blend it in a food processor until it is a fine purée.
2. Mix the eggs with the sugar in a food processor and whip for a few minutes to get plenty of air into the eggs.
3. Add the taro and coconut milk and stir until mixed.
4. Preheat the oven to 175 degree celsius.
5. Empty the mixture into baking dishes to the half way mark.
6. Bake until set and brown, approximately 40 minutes.
7. Slice the onion and fry in the oil until brown. Add a few slivers of fried onion to the top of the cake.
8. Serve cold.