A recipe from the archives.
This is the Thai version of rice pudding made with black sticky rice and coconut milk. I like to serve it, as in the photograph above, by pressing the rice into a decorative mould and pouring the coconut milk over the top. But you can also just spoon it into a bowl and pour the coconut over it.
150 gms Black Sticky Rice
250 ml Water
2 Tablespoons Sugar
1 Tablespoon Corn Flour or Cassava Starch
1/4 Teaspoon Salt
100 ml Coconut Milk
1. Soak the sticky rice in water overnight.
2. Drain and rince twice.
3. Steam for 15 minutes in a Thai rice steamer.
4. Place into a saucepan with the water, and boil for 12-15 minutes until the rice is soft.
5. Stir in the sugar and salt, mix the corn flour with a little water and stir that in to thicken the rice.
6. Continue heating and stirring the rice until it is thick, then spoon it into the moulds, or simply spoon into bowls.
7. Turn the moulds out onto plates.
8. Warm the coconut milk through and pour a little over the rice.