100 gms Brown Sugar
50 gms Desiccated Coconut
20 gms Toasted Sesame Seeds
100 gms Sticky Rice Flour
50 gms Rice Flour
20 gms Cassava Starch
( Save some cassava starch to dust your hands with to stop the balls sticking)
1. Into a saucepan, put 50ml water and the brown sugar and boil until the sugar becomes a very thick sticky caramel. You will need to form balls with this mixture so it cannot be too runny. Take off the heat, mix in the sesame seeds and ground coconut and leave to cool.
2. Take teaspoons of the sugar mixture out and roll them in your hands into small balls, approximately 1cm across.
3. Mix the 2 flours and starch together, mix in 50ml water and knead until it forms dough.
3. Cut the dough into small pieces approximately 30gms, and roll them in your hands. If the balls are a little sticky, dust your hands with more cassava starch.
4. Flatten the dough in your hand, place one of the sugar balls in the middle and fold up the dough so that it completely enclosed the sugar.
5. At this point you can store the balls for future eating, only cooking them when needed.
6. To cook the ball, boil a saucepan of water, drop in the balls into the boiling water. When they are cooked they will float to the surface (approximately 1 minute).
7. Eat warm in a ginger sauce.
Ingredients Ginger Sauce
20 gms Ginger Root
20 gms Lemon Grass
500 ml Water
4 Tablespoons Sugar
Preparation, Ginger Sauce
1. Boil the water, add the ginger root, lemon grass and simmer for 5 minutes.
2. Add the sugar and continue simmering for 2 minutes.
3. Leave to cool a little then ladel some of the balls and sauce into a dish to eat.