1 Packet Rice Cakes
300 ml Water
400 gms Brown Sugar
1. Boil the water in a saucepan.
2. Add the brown sugar and stir to dissolve, continue boiling, as the water boils off, the pan will get hotter than 100 degrees and the sugar will start to change.
3. There are two choices here, I like to eat this with a fudge coating, but it's common in Thailand to get this with a toffee swirl instead.
4. To check the progress of the sugar, take a bowl of cold water and drop spoonfuls of the boiling sugar in to see what stage it is at. If you have a sugar thermometer, then for toffee you need 150-160 degrees Celsius and for a fudge you need 115-120 degrees.
5. Once you have the sugar at the correct stage, take a sppon and make swirls on the rice cakes. The leave to cool.