This is an ever popular dish with westerners. It is the Thai version of banana fritters, unlike the western version, coconut batter is used and the bananas are smaller and less ripe because they hold their shape and texture better when deep frying. The quantities shown are sufficient for 10-12 small bananas. You will need a deep fat fryer or wok filled with oil to cook this.
10-12 Small Bananas
100 gms Rice Flour
100 gms Wheat Flour
1 teaspoon Baking Soda
200 mls Water
100 mls Coconut Milk
1/2 Teaspoon Salt
3 Tablespoons Sesame Seeds
3 Tablespoons Sugar
4 Tablespoons Desiccated Coconut
1. Peel and slice bananas into two halves.
2. Cut bananas into short lengths (7-8 cms approximately, the exact size is not important)
3. Combine all the other ingredients into a large mixing bowl and stir until mixed.
4. Heat the oil to 190 degrees C. (The hottest setting on a typical deep fat fryer).
5. Dip the banana pieces into the batter and drop into the hot oil.
6. Fry until the batter is cooked and golden.
Don't try to fry too many pieces at once, they will stick together. Dust with icing sugar for presentation.