Green rice flakes have a scent to them and coupled with the batter, coconut and banana make for a really delightful and substantial dessert. The inner most centre is banana, followed by a layer of green rice & syrup, followed by an outer coating of batter to hold the dessert together. In the photograph I sliced them in half so you can see inside, but it's normal to serve them whole.
5-10 Small Bananas
100 gms Green Rice Flakes
100 gms Sugar
150 ml Rose Water
2 Tablespoons Desiccated (Shredded Dried) Coconut
Ingredients for Outer Batter
2 Tablespoons Rice Flour
100 ml Coconut Milk
100 ml Water
1 Teaspoon Limestone Water (Optional)
1 Teaspoon Salt
Oil for Deep Frying
1. Clean the green rice flakes in cold water.
2. Boil the sugar with the rose water to form a thick syrup.
3. Mix the green rice with the syrup in the pan, add the desiccated coconut and stir until it's thick. Take off the heat.
4. Peel the banana, you want to coat the banana in a thick layer of the green rice paste, squeeze the paste tightly around the banana so that it sticks well.
5. Make the outer batter, by mixing the rice flour, coconut milk, egg, water, limestone water and salt. You can use a blender to make it smooth if you wish. The limestone water adds extra crunch to the batter, but can be omitted if you wish.
6. Preheat the oil in the fryer to 170 degrees celsius (medium hot).
7. Dip the coated bananas in the batter, and deep fry for 5 minutes until crispy brown on the outside.