This is a recipe from Belarus friends of mine, they call it 'ponchiki' and it's so easy to make, yet so delicious.
500 gms Cottage Cheese
5 Medium Eggs
110 gms Sugar
1/2 Teaspoon Bicarbonate of Soda (Baking Soda)
A Squeeze of Lemon Juice
450 gms Flour
Oil for deep frying
A pinch of salt
1. Mix the cottage cheese, eggs, sugar and salt.
2. Mix the baking soda and flour into the mix, the mixture should be soft and spoonable, but not sticky. If it's too sticky add a little more flour.
3. Squeeze a little lemon juice into the mixture and stir it in, this will activate the bicarbonate of soda to form bubbles to lighten the mixture.
4. Put a pan of oil on to heat to 180 degrees celsius.
5. Take small teaspoonfuls of the mixture and drop into the hot oil, you can make them round by passing them between two teaspoons.
6. Fry until golden brown.
7. This is enough to make 60 or more balls.