The ginger in this ice cream recipe creates a nice bite that contrasts well with the sweetness of the lychees. I sometime double up the ginger if the ice cream is going to be used to mild fruit, for example if you serve it with baked pears, then you can double up the ginger to add a bigger bite.
5 gms Ginger Root
250 gms Lychees in Syrup (Half a Tin)
200 ml Double Cream (35% fat)
2 Eggs Yolks
75 gms Sugar
100 ml Milk or Evaporated Milk
1. In a food processor, blend the ginger root and lychees & syrup together.
2. Then whisk the cream and milk together with an electric whisk.
3. Mix the egg yolks and sugar together, add the cream and the lychee mix, and take to a bain marie (a pan inside a second pan of boiling water).
4. Keep heating and stirring to bring the liquid to just short of boil and keep it there for 3-4 minutes. This is to cook through the egg.
5. Leave to cool, then place in the freezer.
6. Remove 2-3 times and whisk it again to break up the ice crystals when they form.
7. When serving remove it one last time and blend it.