This is a sweet rice dish with a savoury pork hair garnish, very typical of the sweet/salt contrasts in Thai cuisine. However, you can omit the pork hair if you wish and eat it as a sweet dessert. You can also stir the pork hair into the egg topping if you prefer, I like to just add a lock of pork hair for the intense savoury taste followed by the sweetness of the pudding.
Ingredients for Base
200 gms Black Sticky Rice
1 Tablespoons Corn Flour
200 ml Water
1 Teaspoon Salt
2 Tablespoons Sugar
Ingredients for The Topping
4 Tablespoons Coconut Milk
150 gms Sugar
Golden Pork Hair
1. Soak the black sticky rice overnight, then cook it by steaming for 10 minutes.
2. Place the rice into a saucepan, add the water and boil for 10 minutes, this will soften the rice. You can boil longer if you want softer rice. Add salt, sugar. Finally mix the corn flour with a little water and stir it in, heat until the mixture thickens, then leave to cool. You can spoon this into bowls, or I like to spoon it into moulds and place it in the fridge.
3. To make the topping, whip the eggs with the sugar and coconut milk.
4. Pour into bowls suitable for steaming, then steam in a chinese steamer for 5-10 minutes until cooked.
5. To serve, spoon some of the egg pudding over the rice, and add a lock of pork hair to garnish.