This ice cream recipe has a cream based ice cream flavoured with bi-tua (pandan) leaves and young coconut pieces (I used canned young coconut, you can easily get in an Asian grocers). In the back of the photograph you can see I've also frozen them into lollipops. When you make the lollipops, it's nice to cut star shapes out of the coconut meat to add after the final blending, it makes the lollipop more interesting.
150 ml Bi Tua Water (aka Pandan Essence)
200 ml Coconut Milk
150 ml Whipping Cream
150 gms Sugar
1/4 Teaspoon Salt
2 Egg Yolks
150 Sliced Young Coconut Meat
1. Bi tua water is bi tua leaves shredded and liquidised in water, bring to the boil, then chill and sieve to be left with a green liquid with a bubblegum flavour. This can be made weeks in advance, it lasts quite well in the fridge and can be frozen.
2. Boil the bi tua water with the sugar until the sugar dissolves.
3. Whip the egg yolks with the cream and sieve into a saucepan. Heat gently, stirring all the time until steam comes off. It is important not to boil this mixture or you will end up with scrambled eggs. You just want to cook the eggs.
4. Add the coconut milk, bi tua water, salt and mix well.
5. Leave in the fridge to chill, then move to the freezer to freeze.
6. After 2-3 hours, remove it, blend it with a whisk to break up any ice crystals, then put it back in the freezer. You may need to repeat this if the crystals reform.
7. Add the young coconut meat pieces after the final blend.