Areal classic from the Khiewchanta archives! This is a delicious, slightly salt, slightly sweet, very filling dessert from Thailand. The salt balances the sweetness of the sauce and ripe mango. The sticky (glutinous) rice is like a solid rice pudding base to the dish.
It's filling and somehow addictive, without being sweet. Enjoy!
Ingredient For 4 people
100 gms Glutinous (Sticky) Rice
2 Ripe Yellow Mangoes
200 ml Water
100 ml Coconut Milk
100 gms Sugar
1/2 Teaspoon Salt
1/2 Teaspoon Rice Flour
1. Soak the glutinous rice in some water (enough water to cover it) for 3-4 hours. This will make the sticky rice easier to cook.
2. Steam the rice for 15 minutes to cook it through.
3. Into a sauce-pan, put the water and sugar, and bring to the boil. The sugar should dissolve completely.
4. Add the cooked sticky rice into the sugar pan and stir well to mix it.
5. In a different sauce pan, put the coconut milk, the rice flour, and salt and cook it on a low heat for 5 minutes or until the coconut milk thickens from the flour.
6. Peel the mango and slice the flesh into thin slices.
7. To serve, put a bed of the sticky rice on a plate, followed by a layer of mango slices, and pour some of the coconut sauce over the top.