We like to steam things in Thailand rather than bake them. Steaming is easier and it's common not to have an oven in Thailand. This is a steamed jam sponge with a rich coconut custard, made from coconut cream and vanilla.
100 gms Cake Flour
150 gms Butter
170 gms Sugar
2-4 Tablespoons Jam (Your favourite)
Ingredients for Custard
100 ml Coconut Cream (The rich top layer of coconut milk)
250 ml Milk
10 gms Corn Flour
3-4 Drops Vanilla Essence
2 Tablespoons Sugar
1. Cream the butter in a large bowl with the sugar until it's smooth.
2. Mix in the eggs, and flour and whisk for 1-2 minutes with an electric whisk.
3. Choose a bowl that fits in your steamer.
4. Spoon the jam into the bottom of a bowl, then spoon the cake mixture onto the top.
5. Cover the top of the bowl in tin foil to prevent water getting in and steam for 1 hour. You can check that the cake is cooked by sticking in a toothpick, if the toothpick comes out clean of cake mixture them it is cooked.
6. To make the custard, heat the coconut milk, sugar, milk, corn flour and vanilla essense in a saucepan. Stir continuously, until the custard thickens, then serve.