These parcels are a delicious and slightly sweet combination of sticky rice and bananas. If you can, use red bananas, a sweeter type of banana that makes an interesting contrast colour, although you can use yellow bananas as I've done for this photograph. For presentation it is better to wrap these in banana leaves, but you can also use tinfoil.
500 gms Sticky Rice
150 gms Sugar
2 Teaspoons Salt
100 ml Coconut Milk
1 Tableapoon Oil
Banana Leaves (Or Tin Foil)
String To Tie
1. Soak the sticky rice overnight.
2. Drain the rice, place into a saucepan, add the sugar, salt, coconut milk and oil.
3. Heat the rice, stirring all the time over a medium heat. It will become thick after about 5 minutes of heating.
4. Cut banana leaves into 18x25cm rectangles. For each parcel you will use 2 rectangles, for this recipe you will need approximately 10 rectangles (5 parcels).
5. Peel and slice the bananas into halves lengthwise.
6. Lay out two of the leaves (a double layer), spoon the rice into the centre of the leaves, place a banana in the middle, then spoon on some more rice.
7. Fold up leaves to form a parcel, then tie them with string.
8. Steam the parcels for 45 minutes.