The third of todays sweet ball recipes. These tapioca balls are fill with chopped water chestnuts. The tapioca has a sticky, jelly-like texture and the chestnuts add a crunch that contrasts it nicely. If you can't find rose water, you can use vanilla essence in water, for a slightly different taste.
200 gms Tapioca Pearls
40 gms Water Chestnuts
500 ml Rose Water
100 gms Sugar
100 ml Coconut Milk
150 ml Hot water
1. Put the tapioca pearls in a bowl and add the hot water. You should just add enough hot water to make the tapioca clump together. Take a spoon and turn the tapioca over to make sure the water is well distributed.
2. Chop the chestnuts into quarters.
3. Take a lump of the tapioca, and flatten it in the palm of your hand. Make a disc about 5cms across.
4. Place a piece of chestnut in the middle and fold the edges up to wrap up the chestnut piece. Smooth it out to form a ball.
5. Boil the rose water with the sugar, once it is boiling add the tapioca balls and simmer for 25 minutes.
6. Serve warm with a spoonful or two of coconut milk over the top.