Toddy palm paste is an orange fermented paste that smells acidic, a little like rotted vegetables (that is not a typo, it really does smell like rotted vegetables). The smell goes once it's cooked, and it's used in this recipe to broaden the flavours of the cake.
200 gms Toddy Palm Paste
140 gms Rice Flour
150 gms Sugar
200 ml Coconut Milk
Pinch of Salt
1. Mix the rice flour and toddy palm together and leave it for 1 hour in a warm place.
2. Boil the coconut milk with sugar until the sugar melts and leave it to cool.
3. Pour this into the flour and toddy palm and mix together.
4. Make the banana leaf into a small square tray shape, about 3cms on the side. I use a stapler.
5. Fill the tray with the mixture.
6. Steam for 15 minutes.
7. When it's cooled a little, season with salt and ground coconut and serve warm.