These fried pork balls are a common snack sold from street vendors in Thailand. Normally served with sweet chicken sauce (a sweet chilli sauce made for chicken dishes) or sweet chilli sauce, and served with salad or side vegetables.
500 gms Pork Mince
4 Garlic Cloves
1 Teaspoon White Pepper
2 Tablespoons Salt
2 Tablespoons Wheat Flour
30 gms Crushed Ice
400 ml Water for Boiling
400 ml Cold Water
Oil for Deep Frying
1. Mix the pork mince with the white pepper, salt, flour and garlic and blend in a food processor.
2. Add the crushed ice and blend it again for 3 minutes until well mixed. The ice will melt during cooking and make the mix spongy, you want small crystals of ice mixed throughout the pork mix.
3. Boil the water, take two spoons, take spoonfuls of the mixture carefully forming them into a ball using the spoons, and drop into the boiling water to cook.
4. Cook them for 2 minutes, then remove them and drop them into the cold water to cool down.
5. Drain them well, and skewer them onto the wooden sticks.
6. Deep fry the skewered pork balls for 3 minutes until brown.
Sweet Chilli Sauce