This fish is left for 3 days to allow it to sour as a result of slight decay (the salt in the recipe stops it completely rotting). In Thailand, many homes don't have fridges and food goes off in the heat very quickly. Sometimes this isn't such a bad thing and a little bit of decay adds a lot of flavour. Just like you have 3 month old cheese, so we have soured 3 day old fish!
200 gms Fish (Hake Cod etc.)
5 Tablespoons Salt
3 Garlic Cloves
2 Tablespoons Rice Flour
2 Tablespoons Fragrant Rice
1. Clean the fish and gut it.
2. Dissolve the rice flour in 300ml water, soak the fish in this liquid for 5 minutes, then rinse. This will help clean the fish.
3. Pound the garlic, salt and fragrant rice together.
4. Spread the pounded mixture over the fish and inside the cavity of the gutted fish.
5. Place in a plastic bag and leave at room temperature for 3 days.
6. Heat oil in a frying pan and fry the contents of the packet (including the pounded garlic) in hot oil until the fish is golden and crispy.
Big Red Chillies
Lots of Coriander Leaves
Lots of Mint Leaves