The main part of this dish is the finely mince shrimp that has been deep fried in the centre of the photograph. For presentation I've put the shrimp heads and tails around the dish, and the flavours are finished off with spicy chilli and sliced raw garlic. This is normally served as a shared dish with rice.
100 gms Shrimp (4-6 depending on size)
2 Tablespoons Chopped Chillies
2 Tablespoons Chopped Celery
2 Tablespoons Fish Sauce
2 Tablespoons Lemon Juice
1 Teaspoon Sugar
2 Garlic Cloves
1 Tablespoon Sliced Onion
Oil for Deep Frying
1. Clean the shrimp removing the black thread.
2. Dry the shrimp with kitchen paper - this is to stop the oil reacting with the water and spattering when you fry them.
3. Mince the shrimp meat finely.
4. Heat oil for deep frying.
5. Fry the shrimp meat and the shell head and tail. 30 seconds is usually enough time to cook shrimp - it does not take long.
6. Remove and drain on kitchen paper.
7. Make a spicy sauce by mixing chopped chillies, chopped celery, fish sauce, the sugar and thinly sliced onions and raw garlic.
8. Present the dish as in the photograph, with the shrimp meat in the middle, the shrimp heads and tails as a garnish, and the spicy sauce on either side.
Thai Fragrant Rice