This is a filled pancake that was popular in the Japanese restaurant that I worked in. It is a filled cheese pancake with beansprouts, mushrooms and flavourings, the cheese melts as the pancake is cooked and glues the edges of the pancake together!
150 gms Flour
250 ml Milk
1/2 Teaspoon Salt
1/2 Teaspoon Sugar
50 gms Beansprouts
50 gms Shitake Mushrooms (and Other Flavour Mushrooms)
20 gms Spring Onions
50 gms Grated Cheese
2 Tablespoons Light Soy Sauce
Butter ( or Oil for Frying )
1. Mix the flour with the egg and milk, add salt and sugar and mix to form a smooth pancake mix.
2. Add a little butter to a frying pan, melt it, then pour in some pancake mixture.
3. I'm sure you've made pancakes before, for this recipe you need nice even round pancakes, browned on one side only.
4. Make an even number of them, I made 6 with this mix, and stack them on a side plate.
5. Slice the shitake mushrooms, slice the spring onions and fry together with the beansprouts to just soften the vegetables. Set aside in a plate.
6. Add a little more butter to the frying pan, place one of the pancakes in the pan browned side up. The unbrowned side should face down, we will cook this side now.
7. Spoon some of the filling into the centre of the pancake and sprinkle grated cheese over it. Lay another pancake on the top - this one brown side down (so that cooked sides of the pancake face inwards).
8. Fry the pancake until brown, press down the edges to seal in the filling.
9. Turn it over and fry the otherside until brown.
10. Serve is sliced like a pizza.