This is a side dish of quails eggs in a spicy sugar-caramel sauce. In Thailand we normally use larger duck or even chicken eggs, but for the best ratio of sauce to egg the smaller quails eggs are perfect.
Ingredients for 2 People
7 Quail Eggs
Oil for Frying
3 Red Chillis
2 Garlic Cloves
1 Teaspoon Chopped Coriander Leaves
1 Tablespoon Chopped Onion
2 Tablespoons Light Soy Sauce
2 Tablespoons Fish Sauce
1 Tablespoon Vinegar
1 Tablespoon Sugar
1. Boil the eggs for 5 minutes, remove them and place in cold water. Peel off the shell and cut in half.
2. Put oil in the frying pan and fry the quail egg halves until they are brown, remove and put on the serving plate.
3. Slice the chilli and the garlic and put in frying pan with 1 tablespoon oil, fry for a minute to release the flavours.
4. Turn the heat to medium, add the light soy sauce, fish sauce, sugar and vinegar and fry until the sugar caramelizes and the sauce thickens and becomes brown.
5. Pour the sauce over the eggs.
6. Add the raw chopped onion over the eggs, together with the chopped coriander leaves.