This is a red barbeque pork dish normally served with rice, soft boiled eggs, and a thick rich cinnamon and peanut sauce. In its authentic Thai version it is a complete filling meal, however you can also simply use the pork as a side dish to another recipe. It is better to use a pork cut that has some fat, the fat adds a lot of flavour. For the best result, marinade the pork overnight.
Ingredients for 4 People
500 gms Pork Meat With Fat
50 gms Thai Red Pork Seasoning Mix.
150 ml Water
The pork seasoning mix is available from Asian supermarkets in packets or you can use Teriyaki seasoning mix which is very similar.
1. Mix seasoning powder with water.
2. Marinade the pork in the red mix for 2-3 hours at minimum.
3. Roast in an oven at 200 degrees celsius for 20 minutes.
4. Serve the pork sliced thinly with the rice, and vegetables and covered with the cinnamon sauce (described below).
Thai sweet sausage
Thick Cinnamon Peanut Sauce
Thick Cinnamon Sauce
This sauce can also be served as a side dish in its own right.
200 ml Water
2 Tablespoons Light Soy Sauce
1 Teaspoon Salt
1 Teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
1 Tablespoon Sugar
1 Tablespoon Peanuts
1 Tablespoon Cassava Starch (Or Corn Starch if you can't find Cassava)
1. Boil the water in a sauce pan, add the light soy sauce, salt, cinnamon, and sugar. Simmer for 2 minutes.
2. Mix the cassava starch with 3 tablespoons of cold water add to the sauce pan and mix. Simmer for another minute.
3. Pound the peanuts in a Thai mortar (or chop them to make them smaller) and add to the sauce.