The base for this dish is very simple plain rice soup. However the rice is just a carrier for the flavours of the side dishes. The main elements are salty duck eggs [saltiness], century/thousand year old eggs in breadcrumbs with chillies [crunch & hotness], pickled cabbage [sour], and pickled turnip, peanuts & egg [crunchy & tangy]. Stir fried vegetables are also served to bulk up the dish.
The side dishes are normally shared, everyone takes some of the side dish and eats it with their own rice. Some mouthfuls of rice are spicy, some tangy, some salty. Imagine biting into a mouthful of plain rice with almost no taste then hitting a salty duck egg yolk for a burst of salt! This is one of the most underrated Thai dishes.
Ingredients for Rice Soup 4 People
50 gms Fragrant Rice
150 ltr Water
Preparation For Rice Soup
1. Soak the rice in water for 10 minutes.
2. Boil over a medium heat, until the rice begins to break down and become soft. About 20 minutes is typical.
3. Serve with the following trimmings: pickled green cabbage, fried vegetables (like these), hard boiled salted duck or salted chicken eggs and the two side dishes explained below.
Ingredients for Fried Egg & Tangy Turnip
30 gms Preserved Turnip
1 Tablespoon Chopped or Pounded Peanuts
1/2 Teaspoon Salt
1 Teaspoon Sugar
2 Tablespoons Oil
Preparation For Fried Egg & Tangy Turnip
1. Whip the eggs.
2. Chop the pickled turnip finely.
3. Mix the pickled sweet turnip and chopped peanuts into the egg.
4. Heat the oil in the pan and add the egg mix.
5. As it fries, scramble the mixture. You can see the result of this dish in the bottom centre of the the picture.
Ingredients for Spicy Century Eggs
5 Century Eggs
1 Tablespoon Flour
3 Tablespoons Water
30 gms Breadcrumbs
4 Bird Chillies
A Little Sliced Onion
1 Teaspoon Chopped Ginger Root
1 Tablespoon Fish Sauce
1 Tablespoon Lemon Juice
Oil for Deep Frying
Preparation for Spicy Century Eggs
You can see the battered eggs in the bottom row, on the left of the picture.
1. Peel the century eggs and cut them in half.
2. Mix the flour with water, cover the eggs with the mixture, then roll in breadcrumbs.
3. Heat the oil.
4. Deep fry the eggs, they only need a few seconds to cook and for the breadcrumbs to turn brown.
5. Make a sauce by mixing: chopped onions, chopped chillies, chopped ginger, fish sauce and lemon juice.
6. Serve the eggs covered with the onion sauce.