This is a Isan style of 'spaghetti' made using a thin rice noodle and a hash sauce made from shredded chicken, fish sauce and other Isan flavours. Isan is the North East province of Thailand and makes heavy use of spicy fish sauce recipes like this one.
This dish uses Krachai, a root vegetable grown widely in Thailand that creates a mild spicy flavour. You can sometimes find bottled Krachai in Asian supermarkets, but if you cannot find this, omit it.
Ingredients for 4 People
800 gms Thin Rice Noodle
500 gms Chicken Leg or Breast with Skin
7 Dried Chillies
4 Garlic Cloves
2 Red Onions
10 gms Chopped Krachai
4 Kaffir Lime Leaves
4 Tablespoons Old Fish Sauce
4 Tablespoons Fish Sauce
2 Tablespoons Red Curry Paste
1 Teaspoons Sugar
500 ml Water
500 ml Coconut Milk
Preparation of Sauce
1. Boil the water together with the old fish, whole garlic cloves, red onion cut into halves, krachai and whole dried chillies.
2. Once it's boiling add the chicken pieces and cook for 30 minutes.
3. Remove the chicken from the sauce and set aside.
4. Remove the garlic, red onion, chilli, krachai from the stock and pound them with the red curry paste.
5. Remove the meat of the chicken and shred it using two forks.
6. Add the pulped paste and shredded chicken back into the stock.
7. Add the coconut milk, sugar, fish sauce, kaffir leaves and spring onion, and boil for 10 more minutes.
Preparation for Noodles
1. Boil a pan of water, add the rice noodle and cooking for 3 minutes.
2. Drain and rinse with cold water.
3. Take a fork and twist the noodles into small bundles of noodle and pile the bundles onto a plate.
Stack the plate with the noodles, and vegetables and spoon the sauce with the chicken meat over the top.
Chopped Green Beans