This is another variation of this dish, here made with fish and wrapped in lettuce rather than the pork/rice paper wraps. The same serving method applies: you give your guests the ingredients, they assembled the parcel themselves by taking a piece of lettuce and wrapping the fish, vegetables and noodles in it. Then they dip the lettuce parcel into the peanut sauce and eat it.
In Thailand we would lay out large shared plates, but if you prefer you can give your guests individual plates of ingredients.
500 gms Fish (White fish like Haddock, Hake or Cod)
40 gms Rice Noodles
40 gms Mint Leaves
40 gms Coriander Leaves
500 gms Lettuce
20 gms Sweet Basil
5-10 Bird Chillies (Optional)
Ingredients for Sauce
2 Tablespoons Toasted Peanuts
4 Tablespoons Fish Sauce
4 Tablespoons Brown Sugar
50 ml Tamarind Water
100 ml Water
2 Tablespoons Lemon Juice
1/2 Teaspoon Salt
1 Tablespoon Chopped Coriander Leaves
1 Tablespoon Flaked Dried Chillies
1. Clean the fish and cut into stakes. Steam for 15 minutes.
2. Clean all the vegetables and put onto a serving plate.
3. Boil the rice noodles in water for 3 minutes and rinse under cold water and place them on the serving plate.
4. Make the sauce: put tamarind water, and plain water into a saucepan and boil.
5. When the water is boiling add the fish sauce, sugar, and salt. The water will reduce and become thicker as you boil it, due to the sugar. Once that happens remove it from the heat.
6. Add the peanuts, coriander, flaked chillies and lemon juice and place in a serving bowl.
1. Take a piece of lettuce in your hand, add some of the fish meat.
2. Add some noodle, mint, coriander and other green vegetables.
3. Optionally add a bird chilli if you're adventurous.
4. Fold up the lettuce into a package.
5. Dip it in the sauce and eat.