Shrimp Pate (a paste of ground up shrimp) is used to make chilli sauce or for mixing with rice in a dish called 'Kao Kloock Kapi'. This recipe is quite a way to use shrimp paste, used in Eastern Thailand, it is salty and should be eaten with lots of vegetables. The egg aubergines used are Thai vegetables, very different from the larger dark aubergines easten in the west.
Ingredients for 2 People
2 Cups Thai Rice
1 Teaspoon of Shrimp Pate
1 Teaspoon Sugar
1 Teaspoon Salt
1 Tablespoon Fish Sauce
4 Bird Chillis
3 Red Chillis.
3 Clove Garlic
20 gms. of Dry Shrimp
1 Tablespoon Lime Juce
1 Tablespoon Water
1 Green Egg Aubergine
4 Small Green Aubergine
2 Tablespoon Oil
Boiled Salty Egg
1. Cook the rice, you can use day old rice for this dish if you wish.
2. Pound the garlic, bird chilli, red chilli, dry shrimp, shrimp pate and small aubergine in a pestle.
3. Add the salt, sugar, fish sauce and pound, add some lime juce water.
4. These pounded ingredients are called 'Nom Prick'
5. Slice the green egg aubergine.
6. Put the oil in pan and turn the heat on medium, add the 'Nom Prick' you just made, and stir it for a few secounds.
7. Add the rice and mix it with the other ingredients.
8. Add slice green aubergine and fry it for a few minutes more.