These are eaten with Nam (raw pork) and fried dried chillies. This is classic Isan food, cheap, bulky and tasty! It's a way to use up left over fragrant rice.
500 gms Cooked Fragrant Rice
2 Tablespoons Red Curry Paste
3 Tablespoons Fish Sauce
1 Teaspoon Sugar
100 gms Ground Coconut
4 Large Eggs
Oil For Deep Frying
1. Mix the fragrant rice, red curry paste, fish sauce, sugar, ground coconut, and eggs together and mix until sticky. Make into large balls, approximately 6cms diameter.
2. Heat the oil in a deep fryer to medium (about 180 degrees celsius), and fry the rice balls until they go brown. You want the ball to cook slowly so it cooks through the centre.
3. Fry the dried chillies for 10 seconds.
4. To serve, break the ball up, add some lemon juice, fish sauce, fried chilli and mix together.
5. This dish is normally served with raw pork nam.