Another influence from Japan, these rice and cucumber rolls are a fun gop-gam dish to eat with wasabi and Thai beer. The sesame seeds give a nutty taste, the rice gives bulk and the cucumber crispness.
Sesame Seeds (Toasted)
150 gms Cooked Fragrant Rice
1 Tablespoon White Wine Vinegar
1 Tablespoon Sugar
1 Teaspoon Salt
1. Mix fragrant rice with the vinegar, sugar, and salt.
2. Chop the cucumber into long batons.
3. I use a plastic bag to roll up the sushi, but it's more common to use a sushi mat - a mat made of sticks used to roll up sushi.
4. Moisten the mat with a spray of water.
5. Spread the toasted sesame seeds over the mat, then spread the rice over the top.
6. Put a line of cucumber batons along one edge of the mat, and use the mat to roll up the rice around the cucumber.
7. Cut into 3-4 cms pieces with a wet knife.
Wasabi & Soy Sauce