Danger, here be monsters! This is the typical dish of Thailand consisting mainly of papaya, chillis, seasonings, chillis and more chillis. If you like chilli this is the dish for you. The recipe varies from province to province, in the North East they add some fish sauce for flavour, in other provinces it can contain pounded small crabs, or pounded pickled crab. Sometimes mango is added to give a sour taste. The recipe below is typical of North East Thailand.
Ingredients for 2 People ( medium spicy )
5 Bird Chillis
5 Big Red Chillis
2 Clove Garlic
1 Tablespoon of Old Salty Fish
1 Tablespoon of Fish Sauce
1/2 Teaspoon Sugar
4 Cherry Tomatoes
Any Salad of Vegetables
Importance: you must have a proper Thai Mortar to pound the ingredients.
1. Chop the papaya into fine strips.
2. Pound the garlic and chilli to break it up
3. Slice the lemon and tomatoes.
4. Add the old fish sauce, fish sauce, sugar,1 slice of lemon and sliced tomatoes, and pound them a few times.
5. Add the papaya and pound again untill everything is mixed.
6. Taste it and add more fish sauce to salt, or more chilli to spice it to your preference.