This dish is a typical Thai style salad, consisting of bamboo, chilli, and mint and finished off with pan roasted peanuts. It is made with a Thai mortar & pestle, the larger sized Thai mortar is needed for this you cannot make it in a small western spice mortar. For this dish you will need toasted sticky rice, an ingredient explained in the ingredients menu.
100 gms Bamboo Shoots
10 gms Red & Green Chillis
4 Garlic Cloves
2 Small Red Onion
2 Tablespoons Old Fish Sauce
1 Tablespoon Fish Sauce
50 ml Water
10 gms. Spring Onion
5 gms. Mint
1 Tablespoon Peanuts
1 Teaspoon Lemon Juice
1 Tablespoon Toasted Sticky Rice
1. Put a frying pan on a very high heat and add the chilli, garlic, and red onion.
2. Fry for 5 minutes then pound it in a Thai mortar to break down the mixture.
3. Grate the bamboo finely.
4. Place the bamboo, old fish sauce and water into a cooking pot, and boil it for 5 minutes.
5. Take the bamboo mixture and add to the mortar. Pound the whole mixture, together with the fish sauce, lemon juice, toasted sticky rice.
6. Fry the peanuts in a small dry frying pan for 2 minutes until brown.
7. Serve the salad on a plate topped with the peanuts.