Good quality eating crabs are a staple of the Thai diet. Rather than dress the crab, as you would in the west, we prepare it by mixing the crab meat with mince and stuffing it. We steam and eat the claws and legs separately. The spicy red sauce you can see underneath in the photograph, is used as a dipping sauce for the crab. For this dish that sauce is normally served in a separate bowl.
1 Large Eating Crab
70 gms Pork Mince
2 Tablespoons Light Soy Sauce
3 Garlic Cloves
1 Tablespoon Black Peppercorns
10 gms Coriander Root
1 Tablespoon Chopped Spring Onions
4 Tablespoons Oil
1/2 Teaspoons Breadcrumbs
1. Clean the crab, remove the legs and pull out the inside of the crab.
2. Take the meat and any eggs of the crab, leaving only an empty shell, clean the shell.
3. Mix the crab meat with the pork mince. Pound the garlic with peppercorns and coriander root and add to the mince/crab mix.
4. Add light soy sauce, spring onions and egg, and mix them all together.
5. Stuff the crab shell with this filling, and steam it for 10 minutes.
6. Put oil into a frying pan over a medium heat.
7. Add breadcrumbs to the exposed part of the stuffing in the crab shell. Fry this (meat side down) for 2 minutes.
8. Serve with the following chilli sauce and garnish with coriander leaves.
Ingredients for Sweet Chilli Sauce
5 Big Red Chillies
1 Garlic Clove
2 Tablespoons Sugar
2 Tablespoons Fish Sauce
1 Teaspoon Salt
2 Tablespoons Vinegar
1. Pound the garlic with chillies until fine.
2. Add all the ingredients except the coriander and pound until they are all broken up.
3. Warm in a saucepan until the sugar is dissolved.
4. Serve this as a dipping sauce for your crab.