Steaming food in banana leaves is a Thai tradition, the only change these days is that we like to use a stapler to staple the banana leaves into their pyramid shaped parcels! Once cooked, these parcels can be eaten hot or cold and are ideal to take on a picnic.
300 gms Fish (Hake Code etc.)
6 Assorted Chillies
30 gms Lemon Grass
30 gms Sticky Rice
2 Tablespoons Fish Sauce
1/2 Teaspoon Salt
2 Kaffir Leaves
1. Soak the stick rice in hot water for at least 5 minutes to soften it.
2. Clean and chop the fish to 3 cm pieces, put into a bowl.
3. Pound the sticky rice and chillies, lemon grass and kaffir leaves together to a pulp.
4. In the bowl, mix the pulped rice & chillies with the fish and the salt and fish sauce.
5. Spoon the mixture into the centre of banana leaves. Fold the leaves up into little parcels. You can cheat like I do and use a stapler to close the parcels.
6. Steam for 20 minutes.
7. Don't eat the banana leaves!
Steamed Sticky Rice