I'm doing the Atkins diet to shed a few kilogrammes I gained on a recent European trip. All the cheese and fatty foods did terrible things to my waistline! So I'm eating protein and very little else.
But this doesn't have to be meal after meal of boiled chicken! I decided a nice Korean BBQ would be good, and why not make it a seafood BBQ? Some shell fish, some tilapia, a little tuna, I'm sure I can make it interesting.
It also is a great chance to try out the barbecue plate I bought in Kanchanaburi, at the Three Pagodas Pass. I bought it, it sat on the shelf waiting to be used, and I still haven't used it!
1 Tilapia Fish
1 Slab of Tuna!
10-12 Large Shrimp
1 Dozen Shell fish, Clams, Mussels, etc.
1 Large piece of Salmon
Any fish you like!
A Korean Grill Pan
2 Tablespoons Light Soy
2 Tablespoons Dark Soy
2 Tablespoons Sugar
2 Tablespoons Vinegar
1 Tablespoon White Sesame Seeds
A Few Spring Onions (scallions)
1. You can eat any fish you like, as long as it will hold together on the Korean grill.
2. Prep and slice all the fish and seafood.
3. For my shrimp, I butterflied them and remove the gut, you can see this in the video.
4. Don't slice the fish too thin, or it will break apart when you barbecue it.
5. Prepare the marinade simply by mixing all the soy, dark soy, sugar and vinegar.
6. Use only some of the marinade to marinade, the rest is your dipping sauce.
7. Spoon a little over your prepared fish. Chop some spring onions and sprinkle some over the fish, together with some (uncooked) sesame seeds.
8. The rest of the sauce pour into a dipping bowl.
9. For the dipping sauce its better to cook the sesame seeds, so into a dry frying, simply give them a quick dry fry, keeping them moving till they brown, then add them to the dipping sauce, with a few more chopped spring onions to garnish.
10. Everything ready, now lets get the barbecue lit!
11. As ever, I use a fan to blow onto the charcoal and light it quickly.
12. Cook a cube of fat, or some fatty bacon on the plate to get it oiled and ready.
13. Place pieces of the fish and shrimp on the grill turning them with chopsticks, remove and dip in the dipping sauce and eat as each piece is cooked.