100 gms Fish Meat Minced
4 Tablespoons Fragrant Rice
4 Tablespoons Lime Juice
2 Teaspoons Salt
1 Teaspoons Black Peppercorns
4 Garlic Cloves
1 Tablespoon Corn Flour
Oil For Shallow Frying
1. Pound the garlic cloves and black peppercorns together until ground in a Thai mortar.
2. Add the fish mince and continue pounding to make a paste.
3. Into a saucepan, mix the paste, the rice, the corn flour and the yolks of the eggs (keep the whites for later).
4. Heat the ingredients, stirring until they thicken.
5. Push into moulds suitable for steaming. I used heart shaped moulds.
6. Steam for 10 minutes in a Chinese steamer and remove from the moulds.
7. Whip the egg whites, and cover a plate with breadcrumbs. Dip the finished hearts into the egg whites and then the bread crumbs so they are well coated with breadcrumbs on all sides.
8. Shallow fry in hot oil, until they are golden brown on all sides. I find a 1cm layer of oil in the pan makes it easier to get the sides of the heart golden brown.
Chopped Red Onion
Chopped Galangal Root