This recipe is a steamed dish of prawns rolled in pork and Chinese cabbage. The sauce adds a slight sweetness to the whole thing. For the photograph, I sliced the rolls so that you can see inside, but I normally served them whole.
10 Uncooked Prawns
50 gms Pork Mince
4 Garlic Cloves
1/2 Teaspoon White Pepper
1 Teaspoon Salt
10 Green Chinese Cabbage Leaves
2 Tablespoon Plum Sauce
1 Tablespoon Orange Juice
1/2 Tablespoon Brandy or Thai Whiskey if you can get it.
1. Clean the prawns, remove the black line gut and the shell, tail & head.
2. Chop the garlic finely, mix with pork mince and salt.
3. Clean the green cabbage leaves and cut into 6x20 cm lengths.
4. We now roll the parcels up:
5. Lay down a cabbage leave, spread some of the pork mince over it so that it covers half of the cabbage leaf. Place a prawn at one end and roll the cabbage up. The prawn should be wrapped in a layer of pork and several outer layers of cabbage.
6. As you roll, tuck in the edges of the cabbage to enclose the meat and shrimp completely into a little parcel.
7. Secure them with a toothpick.
8. Steam for 10 minutes.
9. Mix the plum sauce, orange juice and brandy in a saucepan and warm over a low heat.
10. Serve the prawns with the sauce poured over them.
Rice or Bread