If you've been reading my Thai Travel blog, you'll know my seafood fanatic friend visited, (boss of Crystal Beads by the way, a great site for buying Swarovski beads, and hand made jewelry). I decided I'd neglected the seafood recipes for a while, and needed to catch up!
Fried rice is a great way of using up yesterdays cooked, left-over rice, and seafood is plentiful and fresh in Phuket, so time to combine the two and make seafood fried rice recipe, using squid, squid eggs I found in the squid, prawns and some crab meat I had left over from the Crab Kapi recipe.
I've made a video to show you how to prep the seafood, since it's a little tricky if you're not so familiar with it, but once you're familiar with it, it's a really simple dish to make.
200 gms Precooked Leftover Rice
100 gms Prawns
100 gms Squid
100 gms Crab Meat
2 Tablespoons Chopped Garlic
2 Tablespoons Chopped Onion
4-6 Cherry Tomatoes
1 Tablespoon Light Soy Sauce
1 Tablespoon Maggi Sauce
1. Cut the heads off the prawns, shell them, cut down the back and remove the black thread. The video shows you how.
2. I normally leave the end piece of the tail on, so they can be handled easier, but you can also remove that if you like.
3. On the squid, remove the beak (and eye if it grosses you out) but keep the tentacles. Inside you'll find a hard plate which you need to pull out.
4. Next the innards need to be scooped out, I use a spoon. If you see gelatinous eggs, they're squid eggs, and we eat those, they're a delicacy so keep them for the stir fry.
5. If you want the purple skin off, score down one side and peel it off.
6. Slice squid into rings.
7. Chop the garlic and onions. Heat oil in a frying pan, and begin by frying them off.
8. Add the seafood to this oil, and fry them till cooked, the shrimp should be pink all the way through and the squid just lost its translucency.
9. Next add the rice, a dash of soy sauce, a dash of seasoning sauce (I used Maggi, but you can also buy stir fry seasoning sauce).
10. Make a little hollow in the middle, crack and egg into it, and mix the egg into the rice.
11. Stir fry a little longer just to cook the egg. Add a little pepper, taste and adjust the seasoning.
12. Garnish with sliced cherry tomatoes, chopped spring onions and chopped coriander leaves.