I went mussel fishing in the Gulf of Thailand yesterday, and that means I have fresh mussels straight out of the sea.
The fisherman recommended I grill them with chilli and garlic, so after some cleaning and preparation work, I did just that.
5 Large Red Chillies
5 Green Chillies
1 Teaspoon Salt
1 Teaspoon Sugar
Juice of One Lemon
4 Cloves of Garlic
Chopped Coriander Leaves
1. Clean your mussels. If you got them fresh from the sea, they'll take several hours to get them completely clean.
2. Chop the chillies and crush the garlic.
3. Mix all the ingredients together except for the mussels and coriander.
4. Taste and adjust the seasoning, you should be able to taste all four salt, sweet, spicy, sour flavours in the sauce.
5. Turn on the grill, place mussels on the grill and cover with a lid, it should only take a couple of minutes. Once they're cooked they should open. At this point some extra prep-work may be needed. Try to keep the juice, you can tip it into a bowl if you need to, then cut off any unpleasant beard that may be inside, or discard any mussels that don't look appealing.
6. Add the juice to spicy sauce to thin it a little.
7. Spoon a little of the sauce onto the mussel in its shell and serve immediately.
8. Sprinkle a little chopped coriander leaves on the top as a garnish.