This sauce is cooked until the sardines dissolves into the sauce, making a soft smooth onion sauce with a very strong taste of salty sardines. This is a very economical way to eat sardines, with the taste spread throughout the sauce, but is also ideal for people who don't like fish bones.
200 ml Coconut Milk
100 ml Water
1 Tablespoon Sugar
2 Garlic Cloves
2 Tablespoons Sliced Onion
1 Tablespoon Oil
1. Remove the meat from the sardine and put into a saucepan. Add the coconut milk and heat over a medium heat stirring all the time until the fish meat is broken up into the coconut, this only takes a few minutes.
2. Sieve the coconut milk into another pan to remove any stray bones and skin.
3. Fry the sliced onions with the chopped garlic and oil for 30 seconds to just soften them.
4. Add the onions and garlic to the coconut milk pan, add the sugar and heat gently for 2 minutes.
5. Add red chillies to taste.
Thai Fragrant Rice