Windermelon is a pithy non-sweet melon used in Thai cuisine. If you can't get it, use unripe large courgettes, or for this recipe you can also use bitter melon which itself has a different taste, but works equally well. Another aspect of this dish is the seaweed used as a vegetable or garnish in the soup.
Ingredients for 2 People
300 gms Wintermelon
100 gms Chicken Breast
4 Garlic Cloves
1 Teaspoon Salt
1 Teaspoon White Pepper
1 Tablespoon Fish Sauce
1 Tablespoon Chopped Spring Onions
30 gms Carrots
1 Chicken Stock Cube
1 Teaspoon Sugar
400 ml Water
1. Clean and chop off the top and the bottom of the melon then scoop out the inside.
2. Chop the chicken breast and mix it with garlic, salt, white pepper and spring onion and blend together to form a mince.
3. Boil the water & stock cube and sugar until the water is boiling.
4. Stuff the melon with the minced chicken and then add the stuffed melon into the boiling soup and simmer for 10 minutes to cook.
5. Peel and chop the carrot into bite sized pieces, put into the boiling soup and cook for 2 minutes. Add seaweed and coriander leaves and serve.
Thai Fragrant Rice