These barbecued eggs are commonly available from street vendors in Thailand. Although they are cooked in their own shells, the eggs are first removed, mixed with seasoning and then put back into their shells for cooking & grilling. If you have a charcoal grill the smokey flavour infuses the egg for a better flavour. Eat them with sweet chilli sauce.
2 Tablespoons Light Soy Sauce
1/2 Black Pepper
1 Tablespoons Fish Sauce
1 Tablespoons Spring Onions
Wooden Skewers for BBQing
1. Clean the eggs on the outside. Break a small hole in the top, approximate 1 1/2 cms diameter.
2. Empty the yolk and white of the eggs into a plate.
3. Mix the egg with the light soy, fish sauce and black pepper.
4. Refill the shell with the seasoned egg mixture, a funnel helps.
5. Stack the eggs upright and steam for 8 minutes.
6. Now take the wooden skewer and poke it through the egg, so that is comes out the other end of the shell. You can get 3 eggs on each skewer.
7. Barbecue on the grill for 10 minutes. In the photograph you can see an egg in its shell at the back and some peeled egg halves at the front.
Sweet Chilli Sauce