Today we're making 2 dumpling dishes, this is the savoury one, the sweet one can be found in the desserts section. Inside this dumpling we have haricot beans & chopped prawn filling. For fun you can draw on a mouse face with food colouring. I used precooked haricot beans from a jar, if you use fresh then you should boil them for 10 minutes.
Ingredients for 3 People
200 gms Wheat Flour
3 Tableaspoons Yeast
1 Teaspoons Sugar
150 ml Water
40 gms Cooked Haricot Beans
3 Garlic Cloves
2 Tablespoons Maggi Sauce
1 Tablespoon Oil
Grease Proof Paper
1. Clean the prawns, cut down the back and remove the black line gut.
2. Cut the prawns, garlic and beans into small pieces.
3. Fry the prawns/garlic/bean filling with oil and Maggi sauce for 30 seconds.
3. Sift the flour to add air to it.
4. In a cup, mix the yeast with the sugar and water, it will begin to froth after a minute or so, this step is to get the yeast started.
5. Mix into the flour and knead the dough for a few minutes.
6. Place the dough in a bowl, cover with a damp cloth and let it rise for 30 minutes.
7. Cut the grease proof paper into 3cms square pieces.
8. Cut the dough into equal sized pieces approximately 20 gms each. Each of these dumplings is 4-5 cms across, so don't make them too big.
9. Roll each piece of dough in your hands to make it round.
10. Flatten the piece of dough, by pressing it between your fingers.
11. Add a spoonful of filling to the centre and fold up the edges of the dough to enclose the filling into a neat 'bun' shape.
12. Place each parcel seam-side down onto a square of grease-proof paper.
13. Once you've made all the parcels, leave them for 10-20 minutes until they have risen again.
14. Steam the parcels for 5 minutes to cook them.
If you want extra spice, you can make a sauce of chopped chillies and Maggi sauce and dip your dumplings into the sauce.