These are baked buns with a sweet center of candied fruit & candied lotus root, around a salty egg yolk. This is the usual mixture of salt and sweet, so typical of Thai food.
Ingredients for Dough
250 gms Wheat Flour
50 gms Butter
100 ml Evaporated Milk or Coconut Milk
2 Teaspoons Bicarbonate Raising Agent
Ingredients for Filling
100 gms Dried Sweetened Lotus Root
150 gms Dried Glace Melon
Salty Eggs Yolks (12-15)
Preparation For Dough
1. Whip the egg, bicarbonate, sugar and butter together
2. Add the wheat flour and mix, then add a little milk at a time to form the dough.
3. Split the dough into 12-15 pieces (one for each of your egg yolks).
Preparation for Filling
1. Blend the candied fruit and lotus together, split into 15 portions.
2. Take the egg yolks and drain off the white. (Salty egg yolks are solid from the salting process).
1. Oil your hand to stop the dough sticking.
2. Flatten the dough in your hand to form a disc 11-12cms diameter.
3. Place a ball of the candied fruit and a salty egg yolk inside.
4. Fold up the dough around it, and press the edges together to form a ball.
5. Bake in a preheated over at 150-170 degrees celsius until brown.