The kanar leaves (also spelt 'kar na') are an important part of this meal, they add a bitter crispness to contrast the chicken. If you cannot find kanar leaves in your local Asian grocers use a bitter lettuce leaf instead. I like to use fresh peppercorns in this recipe, so that I can leave them in the fried mixture and eat them as part of the parcel.
150 gms Chicken Breast
4 Garlic Cloves
10 gms Green Peppercorns
2 Tablespoons Light Soy Sauce
1 Tablespoon Fish Sauce
1 Teaspoon Sugar
1 Teaspoon Lemon Juice
2 Tablespoons Oil
1. Chop the chicken breast, put in a blender, add the garlic and blend until they are nicely minced, as you can see from the photograph.
2. Preheat oil in a frying pan. Fry the chicken mince until it's half cooked.
4. Add the fish sauce, light soy sauce, sugar, and lemon juice. Stir fry for 2 minutes, then add the green peppercorns.
5. Clean the kanar leaves, and dry them.
6. Place some of the mixture on the kanar leaves, roll them up and serve immediately.