In Thailand we eat rice rather than bread as our staple food, and naturally our picnics are built around rice rather than sandwiches. Here is a typical well presented picnic box consisting of omelette wrapped fried rice, fried vegetables and prawns in batter. Although you can't see it so clearly in the photograph, the base of the box contains chopped lettuce.
150 gms Pre-Cooked Fragrant Rice
20 gms Chopped Carrot
20 gms Green Peas
20 gms Corn
1 Tablespoon Chilli Paste
1 Tablespoon Fish Sauce
1 Tablespoon Lemon Juice
1 Teaspoon Sugar
1 Teaspoon Salt
1 Tablespoon Batter Flour (or Regular Flour + 1 Egg Yolk)
1. Slice lettuce and fill the base of the box with the shredded lettuce.
2. Boil the carrots, peas and corn for 3 minutes (don't overcook them, you need a little crunch).
3. Wrap them in seaweed, place with parcel in the centre of your picnic box. If you have any left over, you can garnish the rice with them later.
4. Mix the fragrant rice, chilli paste, fish sauce, lemon juice, sugar and salt together.
5. Fry for 3 minutes, stirring all the time so as to mix them well.
6. Heat some oil for deep frying - this will be used to fry the shrimp.
7. Clean the shrimp, remove the black gut by cutting down the back, for presentation I like to leave the shell on.
8. Mix the batter flour with a little water and dip the shrimp in this batter. If you don't have batter flour, use regular flour and mix in an egg yolk to help the flour stick to the shrimp.
9. Deep fry the battered shrimp for a minute to cook them.
10. Drain and place the shrimp in your picnic box.
11. Whip the eggs, fry in a clean frying pan with a little oil until just cooked through.
12. Take the omelette, cover it with the stir fried rice you made earlier and roll it up. Slice it into 6 pieces and stack these in your picnic box.