These fried balls are made with broccoli (leaf and stalk) and should be eaten with a spicy sauce, or sweet chilli sauce. They are part of this picnic box, but you can include them in any picnic or packed lunch box. A word of caution, they contain a lot of water and can burst when you deep fry them, be careful of the hot oil.
100 gms Broccoli
100 ml Water
1 Teaspoon Salt
1 Teaspoon Light Soy Sauce
1 Teaspoon Sugar
1/4 Teaspoons White Pepper
100 gms Flour
Oil for Deep Frying
1. Chop the broccoli into pieces, put into a blender and blend to very small pieces.
2. Add salt, soy sauce, sugar, white pepper and continue blending until the broccoli is fine.
3. Add egg, then the flour a little at a time, until the mixture is a thick paste - thick enough to roll in your hands.
4. Preheat the deep frying oil to 180 degrees Celsius (medium hot).
5. Take a small pieces of the mixture in your hand, about the size of a quails egg. I like to oil my hand first to make the mixture easier to handle. Roll the mixture into an egg shape and drop into the hot oil.
6. Deep fry until cooked, this takes about 10 minutes, be sure they are cooked in the centre of the ball.
Sweet Chilli Sauce