When I was a schoolgirl, this was our school lunch, pork and sticky rice. We would pay 3 baht for a little square bag of pork and sticky rice, just like the plastic bags in the photograph. This pork is idea for picnics, if you make the little square bags like I've done, and eat it straight from the bag in the same way you can eat a sandwich. The plastic bag keeps your hands clean.
Ingredients for Family Picnic
250 gms Sticky Rice
500 ml Hot Water
300 gms Pork Meat
2 Tablespoons Light Soya Sauce
2 Tablespoons Honey
1 Tablespooon Dark Soy Sauce
1 Teaspoon Sesame Seeds
1/2 Teaspoon White Pepper
2 Tablespoons Oil
1 Teaspoon Lemon Juice
Coriander Leaves for Garnish
Small Bags For Packing
1. Soak the sticky rice in hot water for 1 hour.
2. Clean the pork and slice very thinly into squares, about 5x8 cms.
3. Marinade the pork in the light soy, dark soy, honey, sesame seeds, lemon juice, white pepper, and oil, for 30 minutes or longer.
4. Steam the rice until it is cooked, a Thai steamer works best.
5. Into a frying pan, add 3 tablespoons water and place on the heat.
6. Add the marinaded pork, together with the marinade into the pan and fry for 8-10 minutes (until the pork is cooked).
7. For the picnic, it's best to take a piece of rice, put it into the bag, press it flat inside the bag then put a slice of pork in the bag and a piece of coriander.