This pie originates from China, however my favorite type of this pie is the slightly salty, slightly sweet version with salty eggs inside they sell in Thailand. For this you will need salty eggs yolks which take 2-3 weeks to prepare. You will also need yellow beans which you can either buy in packets, or prepare from green beans - see the ingredients section of this site for instructions on both these items. The most difficult part of this is the pastry, which is made from multiple layers of 2 types of pastry.
Ingredients First Layer Pastry
150 gms Wheat Flour
2 Tablespoons Sugar
2 Teaspoons Salt
7 Tablespoons Oil
80 ml Cool Water
Ingredients for Second Layer Pastry
70 gms Wheat Flour
7 Tablespoons Oil
6 Tablespoons Cool Water
Ingredients for Filling
200 gms Yellow Soya Bean
30 gms Sugar
1 Tablespoon Salt
7 Tablespoons Pork Lard
3-4 Salty Egg Yolks
1. Steam the yellow soya for 20 minutes.
2. Pound them in a Thai mortar to form a paste, mix with the sugar, the oil and salt.
3. Warm the paste gently in a pan until it thickens as the water evaporates, then leave to cool.
Prepare First Layer of Pastry
4. Mix the flour with the sugar, salt, oil and water. This needs to form a smooth dough, so add a little more water if necessary and knead a little until you have a pastry dough.
Prepare Second Layer of Pastry
5. Mix the flour with the oil and water. As with the first layer adjust the water and mix until you have a smooth pastry dough.
Even More Pastry Preparation
There's a little more preparation work to do, the two layers are rolled out in a way so that tiny thin layers of each pastry are formed.
6. Roll out the first out. Roll the second layer out separately. Put the second layer ontop of the first layer and roll up both layers together by hand to form a sausage shape.
7. Roll the pastry sausage flat, turn it 90 degrees and roll up again into a sausage, then again roll the sausage flat, turn 90 degrees and roll up yet again into a sausage then roll the sausage flat.
8. If it's too much work, you can use puff pastry from the supermarket!
Filling and Cooking
9. Roll the pastry into a flat disc. Spoon the soya mixture into a pile in the middle.
10. Push the salty egg yolks into the soya beans, (salty egg yolks should be hard from the salt, they are not cooked!).
12. Lift up the edges to wrap the filling up in the pastry.
13. Grease a baking tray, turn the pie over to hide the seam where the pastry was joined.
14. Cook in a preheated over at 170 degrees Celsius for 25 minutes.