Inside these balls made from tapioca pearls, are chopped nuts and sliced preserved turnip. The turnip you can buy in packets from Asian grocers, it is thin sliced and preserved in salt and sugar. These are a tiny bit sweet and tangy, and should be eaten with bird chillies and fried garlic.
100 gms Tapioca Pearls
40 gms Preserved Turnip
20 gms Toasted Peanut, Pounded to Fine Pieces
1 Tablespoon Oil
Tin Foil for Steaming
1. Put the tapioca pearls into a bowl and add just hot enough water to make them wet, it will form a thick sticky paste with the tapioca beads sticking to each other.
2. Mix the chopped nuts and turnip together.
3. Grease a piece of tinfoil with the oil and place into a steamer.
4. Take a piece of tapioca paste in your hand, and press it flat in the palm of your hand. Take a spoonful of the turnip & nut mixture and place it in the centre of the tapioca.
5. Lift up the sides of the tapioca to enclose the filling and form a ball. If it sticks to your hands, wet your hands a little.
6. A typical ball will be about 4cms across, place it on the foil ready to steam with the join at the bottom.
7. Once you've used up all the tapioca, steam the balls for 8 minutes. As they cook they will become even more translucent.